Sunday 14 November 2010

Highlights of Luster at the Lakeside Arts Centre

Lakeside arts centre
Luster


Today I went to visit the widely talked about and well respected Luster at the Lakeside Arts Centre. The standard if work on show was extremely high and I recognised many of the exhibitors from showing at BCTF, Top Drawer and 100% Design and fellow design factory members.

One of my favourites was the jewellery made by Kate Gilliland, I fell in love with her own quirky take on taxidermy pieces from her 'The weird and wonderful' collection, especially the sleeping mouse necklace in it's own leather pouch and the harnessed bird necklace.
Sleeping Mouse

Harnessed Bird

Staying on the Jewellery theme I also loved the cuffs made by Syann Van Niftrik, the necklaces made by Serra Malta and quirky pieces by Rachel Leardley.

I also loved the ceramic wall pieces by Porcellana and Duomo, I think I love it so much because I can see some of my own work within the large wall panels but instead of textiles, the pieces are made from ceramics. I loved how delicate the porcelain is folded and manipulated to create such brilliant abstract effects.


As well as the new designers i saw I have my firm favourites which I have seen at different trade shows and events, these include Catherine Hammerton. I think her ceramic pieces are beautiful and brilliant value! I also spotted Gillian Lee Smith's quirky dolls and did some christmas shopping and brought some of Amanda Ross's notelets.... as always I was drawn straight to her stand!

Catherine Hammerton Mug

Catherine Hammerton Plate

Gillian Lee Smith's Linnet doll
Amanda Ross Original Artwork

I really enjoyed the show and would love to get involved next year... I will definitely be applying!

No comments: