Saturday 7 August 2010

Craft House Concept Opening Party!


After a rather longer and more expensive trip than anticipated on virgin trains to get to Edinburgh, I finally arrived and went straight to the opening of the craft house concept at 31e Minto road with my friend Alex, who is currently doing her PHD in chemistry up in Edinburgh.


Steph who is a furniture designer herself set up the shop in a very beautiful part of the city showcasing eco-friendly and design lead British products. The opening was fun, bustling and everything you would want to a brilliant start to a wonderful shop, but whilst there and talking to Steph, I found out its more than just a shop. She has a library and wants to invite people to come and enjoy the atmosphere she has created by sitting down, having a read of her craft books. At that point I was very jealous I don’t live closer!



I also met some really interesting people from Craft Scotland, Fiona from bluebellgrey, who’s work I love and have always followed since I met her at New Designers One year on 2009 and a new designer called Lucy Roscoe who has made some wonderful custom recycled gift boxes especially for the shop. I think I love them more because my large leaf cushions are featured on the box!

Gillian Morrison was filming the whole event, my friend Alex and I were interviewed about the shop and what we felt about the opening. A video she made for Steph about the shop and the designers she chose was also on the background.

Drinks and canapes after the opening were held at Earthy, a local produce store, market garden and cafe where along with some of the other designers I gave a talk about my work and my influences and also about how Lorna Syson is going ‘green’ with the new eco friendly collection.

No comments: