Tuesday 5 October 2010

Welsh sheep now have my necklace.

After the busy and successful time at Top Draw and 100% Design I decided to retreat into the Welsh country side with two of my friends, Francie and Sam for a well deserved break. Francie's parents own a beautiful little cottage on the edge of Snowdonia national park which is literally in the middle of no where so it was perfect. On the first day we headed for a walk, something which is think is fairly common for thoses on mini breaks in this area.


I decided to wear my favourate and most sentimental necklace (error), this necklace was given to me by a Scottish designer Mhairi Hughes at New Designers 2009. It was part of her finally collection for her degree show where she asked children their wishes, many said 'I wish I was a princess' or 'I wish I was a fireman' but this one necklace said 'May all your wishes come to be' something which I thought was extremely touching. 


Mhairi had laser cut these pendents into wood and metal and etched the wishes on top. This particular one was imperfect, the wood had part of the bark on and to me this made the statement even more special. I deliberated who I could buy this for and who would understand the story and the meaning behind it.




On the last day of New Designers 2009, whilst packing up Mhairi walked past my stand and left me this pendent. It took me a couple of months of trying to track her down and I eventually sent her one of my corsages as a Thank you. 


It fast became one of the few items of jewelry I would wear. Throughout the time I was setting up my business I would wear it to all important meetings, photo-shoots and at every trade-fair I have done to date. This is why I was devastated this morning when I couldn't find it and realised through photographic evidence I was wearing at the start of our walk yesterday up the hill but no on our way down. 


We went to check our route again with no luck, the sheep in that hilly field now have my necklace.






We discussed that I should look at it in a kind of symbolic way. The business is doing well at the moment with more clients, more orders and enquires, maybe the necklace did it's job in getting me this far and it was time for me let go to my wishes as many have turned into reality and I am on the path which i was aiming for when I received the necklace 16 months ago.


It is still a sad day and I have attached my final image of me wearing the necklace on a Welsh hill with Francie. I wanted to say a massive thank you to Mahiri, for such a thoughtful gift


No comments: