Wednesday 8 December 2010

The best of East London Design Show

Last weekend was the East London Design Show at Shordich town hall. After battling with trains for the midlands down to London and my usual 1-2 hour journey taking 5 hours, I managed to make it on the last day in the last hour!

The first stand I saw was one of my favorites. People Will Always Need Plates. I have been a huge fan of their British sourced and made ceramics ever since I came to know of them via the collaboration with Margo Selby. I then heard Robin talk at the Hidden Art Forum and was on a stand next to them at Top Drawer September 2010 in the Design Gap section. Because of this I made my first purchase in less than 2 minuets of entering the show, and I don't think i was the only one as they were running extremely low on stock.


I am now the proud owner of the limited edition Sir Johns Sloane's Museum London Mug to have my tea from in the studio an i am already perusing the website to see my next purchase... I'm thinking the 30 St Mary Axe or a B of the Bang Mug.... decisions, decisions.

Another stand which caught my eye was Latorre Cruz Design I was drawn to his light but soon saw his Jet Set shelves. They are plastic shelves in the form of a traditional paper airplane. Wonderful Idea and a great contemporary and useful take on the traditional english ducks when displayed in a three on the wall. The only problem I see with them is that you wouldn't want to use them as shelves because it would ruin their beauty.

Latorre Cruz Design
Latorre Cruz Design


I also was stopped in my tracks by Mini Moderns new wallpaper collection. I first saw their Sitting Comfortably wall paper at Tent 2009 and thought there simple style was exquisite. They are launching their new collection to celebrate the enduring influence of the 1951 Festival of Britain.


Mini Moderns Family Album Collection



Festival Wall Paper, Mini Moderns

Finally I came across one of the main reasons for me to head over to show, to see Designer and friend of mine Laura Felicity. Laura and I met at a Hidden Art event about how to promote our work. She creates bespoke wall papers and has recently branched out into cushions. I have added my favourate wall paper below but keep your eyes peeled for a whole post dedicated to her work!


Laura on her stand
Geometric flower, steel, Laura Felicity

1 comment:

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

Mini moderns' Festival wallpaper is brilliant! Fell for it straight away!