Sunday 19 December 2010

Snow Joke, Christmas is here!

This weekend was the last before heading home for christmas and it has definitely been a fun and jam packed weekend.

We had a light dusting on Friday afternoon which seemed to make the the roads slippery, I slowly slid my way across London to meet up with my old housemates and university friends, recently married Jemma (Ayres) who wore my flowers in her hair for m wedding and the fantastic and very talented textile designer Helen from Pondage Design, I was delighted to receive my Birthday/Christmas present of a hand-made custom designed and screen printed suede note book, made even more special by the the note inside saying:

"Our tomorrows start with dreams of today...."


The next day we had a snow storm over London, it made everything very pretty and me very happy I packed my Wellington's so our trip over to Spitalfields market to purouse the vintage shops with relatively slip free. I picked myself up some sheep skin vintage mittens which I have been searching for for about a month, kept my hands very toasty all weekend.


We also came across numerous snow men in our travels, this one was by far to best just outside Beyond Retro

As always I spend my weekend going around looking at markets, and seeing what other designers are up to and some to me really stood out. I loved the illustrations by Laura Jordon under the name of Delicate Mayhem, especially her London drawings. I love the way her pen seems to have drawn across the page with a whimsically perfection and play on scale. It is the type of image you can constantly look and and find something different each time.


Another designer using similar inspiration is ink cities. This style of drawing has been catching my eye for a while in the form of prints but also on ceramics such as People Will Always Need Plates

I also came across one of my favorite Jewelry designers Maria Zureta. I brought a necklace from Maria about a year and a half ago and it has become a firm favourite ever since. I included an image below of a group of us after graduating which includes Helen from Pondedge design and Sarah from SJGuest Designs and me wearing my the necklace



Finally after falling in love with too many designers I fell head over heals for the delights of Kooky Bakes cupcakes. I'm not even exaggerating, it is by far the best cupcake I have ever had and I feel like after living in New York and sampling many of the brands based in Chelsea Market and the infamous Magnolia bakery from the Sex in the City show, i know what I am on about. I had the white chocolate and raspberry cupcake, strongly recommend heading over and samplings one. I am looking forward to having another one very soon!

As we walked back we came across this called tweets of snow. As the sign said, whenever anyone mentions the word snow on twitter the comment is printed off and it falls over the cardboard street the artists have made. I have already started my own twitter campaign to get this seen more as it was only on the 6th time walking past this window we noticed it. I think its a great idea so check out the hash tag  see if anyone else has joined in...... or it maybe just me!




No comments: