Sunday 25 April 2010

Check out the new BBC show called 'Blood, Sweat and Luxuries'


I'm a massive fan of these types of programs which are being show on BBC3This series follows six young British consumers who swap their luxury lives for the simple mud huts and shanty towns of Africa and Asia to work alongside the people who mine, manufacture, process and recycle luxury goods.


Being heavily involved in the fashion and interior manufacturing I understand the time, skills and effort it takes to produce an item. I think it is very important to highlight what goes into the items we import and consume in this country. I will definitely be watching the program being show on BBC3 this Tuesday evening at 21.00, which is looking into what goes into luxury leather goods such as shoes, belts and hand-bags.


The programs also reinforce my view that the products I produce under my label of Lorna Syson Textiles should be always be hand-made in the UK in my studio so I can always be confident of where they come from and how they are made. I also constantly keep reassessing where I get my fabrics and materials from, again it is something which is very important to me and I am striving to source all of my materials from UK manufacturers and sustainable sources. This is easier said than done because so much of the manufacturing has been moved abroad.






I am a massive believer that the UK needs to start becoming less reliable on cheap imports from abroad,  and bring back the skills to the UK creating more jobs for the UK and stop supporting poor working conditions for people abroad. I will be tuning in to watch these programs to learn more!

No comments: